Specialized Drug Rehab for Young Adults
Young adults (aged 18-24) account for roughly 14% of the U.S. population. This particular group is one of huge social and economic importance, as they are transitioning out of adolescence and into the adult workforce. Young adulthood tends to be a period of great change that brings with it all kinds of new challenges and stressors. Sadly, the pressure of this transition can sometimes be a trigger for drug or alcohol addiction.
Recognizing Addiction: Contributing Factors and Red Flags
A drug or alcohol addiction can happen to anyone, but there are some factors that can play a role in its development:
- Family history: Some young adults may have a genetic predisposition to substance abuse. Knowledge of other blood relatives with histories of addiction can be a warning sign.
- Pressure: Social, economic, and peer pressures can be triggering factors for drug or alcohol use.
- Behavioral and mental health issues: Things like depression and anxiety could make some individuals more likely to self-medicate. Anxiety sufferers, for example, are two to three times more likely than the general population to develop a substance abuse disorder at some point in their lifetimes.
- Influences and access: A person surrounded by drug use has a greater risk of falling into it themselves, especially if there is a social narrative that the use is justified (e.g., “It’s normal to experiment at our age—let’s have fun while we’re still young!”)
If you’re worried that you or someone you know may be susceptible to addiction, watch for signs like the following:
- Excessive slowness/drowsiness or excessive energy/hyperactivity (could be a sign of drug use in those who do not have a diagnosis of bipolar disorder)
- Drinking or “partying” every day (often starting early in the day)
- Rapid decline in performance at work or in school
At Yellowstone, we’ve successfully guided individuals of all ages to recovery by meeting them where they are. The problems of young adults are just as valid as those of others, and we have the compassion and flexibility necessary to develop a plan that works for young people from all walks of life.
Gender-Specific Programs Provide Comfort, Safety, and Camaraderie
In addition to age-specific treatment, all of our treatment programs and inpatient residences are separated by gender. This is typical for rehab facilities, as it allows individuals to comfortably live with those of their same gender and focus on recovery among peers with similar life experiences.
Gender-specific treatment can also help clients focus on their recovery and prevent opposite-sex clients from becoming inappropriately involved during treatment. It should be noted, of course, that we also actively discourage fraternization between same-sex clients in rehab.
Young Adults Face Unique Challenges in Recovery
No matter their generation, young adults are a demographic that faces incredible pressure to succeed. Whether it’s academic stress, difficulty finding employment, relationship problems, or parental expectations, some young adults find themselves quickly overwhelmed by the initial onslaught of hurdles that so-called “adulting” can bring.
The underlying reasons for a young adult’s drug or alcohol use can be quite different from those of an established older adult. A 45-year-old with a house and a professional career might begin self-medicating with alcohol after a messy divorce. A 20-year-old college student, on the other hand, might become addicted to Adderall that she started using to boost her study sessions and meet expectations of success.
Rehab for young adults needs to dial in on the roots of their specific concerns and introduce new habits and coping methods that work for their lifestyles.
Things to Consider
If you or someone you care about needs help for a drug or alcohol dependency, there are a few things you should consider with regard to treatment:
- Any behavioral health diagnoses, chronic diseases or other health concerns: Will you require special medical care and/or medication management?
- Severity of addiction: Do you need detox and residential care?
- Your financial situation: Do the treatment centers you’re considering offer flexible payment options?
- Prioritizing responsibilities: Will your rehab center work with you so that you can meet or temporarily suspend your responsibilities while you go through treatment?
- Safety: Do the facilities you’re considering have strong enough safety and security measures?
At Yellowstone Recovery, We Know What Young Adults Need to Succeed
- Difficulty meeting responsibilities or remembering commitments
- Financial problems; asking to borrow money
- Making excuses for their substance use, getting extremely angry and defensive when questioned
- Problems in relationships with romantic partners, family, and friends
- Unusual or suspicious behavior like disappearing at strange times
- Worsening depression and/or anxiety symptoms
- Edgy, nervous, or irritable affect
- Unexplained mood swings
- Shaking, twitching
- Feeling sick more often than normal (may be due to withdrawal)
- Deterioration of physical appearance and/or personal hygiene
- Giving up on previous goals and ambitions; total apathy about the future
Treatment Options for Young Adults
Everyone’s experience with addiction is different, which is why most drug rehab centers offer a variety of program types. At Yellowstone Recovery, we treat clients in three types of treatment programs: residential, outpatient, and intensive outpatient (IOP).
This is the most intensive type of program, designed for those with active, severe addictions. This type of treatment generally begins with medical detox, then moves into a period of regularly scheduled individual therapy, group therapy, and 12-step meetings.
Residential clients live on-site during treatment, allowing them to be fully immersed in their recovery. Clients are also strictly monitored by staff during this time, earning more privileges over time. Residential inpatient programs are the most common choice among clients at Yellowstone Recovery.
Unlike residential treatment, outpatient programs do not require clients to live on-site. This option is generally reserved for individuals who have recently completed a residential treatment program but would like to have additional support. In outpatient treatment, clients are able to live at home and keep working at their existing jobs, managing their own therapy schedule.
Intensive Outpatient Treatment
Intensive outpatient treatment offers the same freedoms as standard outpatient treatment, but it does not require clients to have completed a residential program. Intensive outpatient programs are ideal for individuals who do not need detox or who have already gone through a detox period somewhere else.
We Tailor Treatment to Benefit Young Adults
It’s incredibly important to make sure that a person’s treatment plan is properly suited to their needs and personal experiences. By creating specialized, age-appropriate rehabilitation plans, we make it easy for young adults to get the help they need from a treatment team that’s truly in touch with their experience.
Every stage of life is its own unique process, and a one-size-fits-all program isn’t always the right answer. Here at Yellowstone, our individualized, age-specific drug rehab programs for young adults are only the beginning. The following are just a few of the many other reasons we’re an ideal choice for young adults and their loved ones:
Quality Facilities Staffed by Compassionate Addiction Specialists
All of our treatment facilities and on-site amenities are well maintained and properly staffed for the best possible care experience. Young adults in residential programs can take advantage of our convenient fitness, laundry, and recreational facilities, allowing them to stay healthy and relaxed, as well as maintain a sense of autonomy and normalcy.
Comfortable, Secure Housing in Beautiful Orange County
Residential clients spend their stay in gender-specific housing with other individuals in recovery. Residents share space and work together to prepare meals and do household chores. Our residential homes are monitored 24/7 by Yellowstone staff, and all houses are appropriately secured to protect both residents and their belongings.
Clients can also take in the natural serenity of the California coastline and the ocean—something many describe as an emotionally healing experience.
Affordable Treatment Costs
Whether you’re a family member of an addicted young adult or are struggling with dependency yourself, the cost of treatment is a legitimate concern. Young adults face financial pressure from all kinds of sources like textbooks, student loan debt, entry-level income and the many expenses of living independently.
At Yellowstone, we understand that financing treatment on top of other pressures can be a challenge. Fortunately, your insurance company may be able to help you cover treatment with us! Our verifications department can check your insurance eligibility and tell you what benefits you can receive. We also offer a variety of payment options and will work with you to develop an individualized plan that works for you and your budget.
It’s Time to Reach Out for the Help You Deserve
This is the prime of your life—you deserve to live it to the fullest, free from the stranglehold of addiction. To learn more about our programs and how we can help you create the future you want, call us today at (888) 418-4188.
Request More Information
Start your recovery today.
Intensive Outpatient (IOP)
Intensive OutPatient treatment (IOP) helps people establish the foundations for lifelong sobriety…read more...
Our California alcohol and drug addiction treatment program is predicated on restoring you to your ideal health. Detox is a crucial part…read more...
Primary Care – Residential Treatment
The first phase of our program is primary care. During this phase clients will be in a 30-day “blackout” period…read more...
Residential Treatment – Extended Care
Residential treatment extended care starts on day 31 and goes through day 90. This period is very important for a client in early recovery…read more...
Outpatient treatment serves as aftercare for clients who have completed extended care (90 days of residential treatment)…read more...
Sober living at Yellowstone begins after the initial residential treatment portion of the program is successfully completed…read more...
Detox and Residential Treatmentread more...
Experiential Therapy is therapy of the mind rather than the body. It is a tool to help…read more...